Monday, February 6, 2017

QUICK PRESERVED LEMONS...................


As some of you know, preserved lemons are a staple in my kitchen. My original recipe, which I have enjoyed for years, has been the "go to" for all kinds of foods: fish, Moroccan and Spanish dishes, many vegetarian choices, stews and soups, and the list goes on. The lemons just add a kick to my cooking choices that no other ingredient offers.  However recently, I was getting ready to make a paella and realized I had about 3 small slices of preserved lemons in the refrigerator. Panic of course was my first response as I need 1 1/2 cups minced, but then decided to try something that basically made sense. Here's my very quick preserved lemon recipe which surprised and delighted me. My original recipe takes about 45 minutes to prepare and five days to cure before use.  This new version, takes about 8-10 minutes and it's ready to use. 
This is a no-brain-er!


QUICK PRESERVED LEMONS
1.  Wash 3 lemons, trim both ends slightly, and cut in rounds.
2.  In a large skillet, add extra virgin olive oil about 1/4 inch deep.
3.  Arrange a layer of the lemon slices in the olive oil and sprinkle
     with a ample coating of sea or kosher salt.
4.  Saute for about 4 minutes on each side or until supple. Remove to a clean          container with tight cover (do not drain) and cook any remaining lemons            slices.    
5.  When cool, pour remaining olive oil and salt over the lemons and refrigerate.      Lemons will keep for a couple months, if they last that long! 

Let me know what you think, but this version is not only a time saver in preparation, but actually uses much less salt and olive oil.  It's a winner in my book.

Be well and pain free with nightshade cooking!
Caroline



No comments:

Post a Comment