Sunday, August 18, 2013

Stung Again.....

We've been in Iceland for a couple lovely weeks, and I enjoyed getting to know Reykjavik, the lovely Icelandic people, their customs, and of course their foods. The people were charming and delightful, and very responsive when I explained my sensitivity to nightshade foods. However, an unknown ingredient accidentally kept getting into the foods I ate that stung my hands. 

It was frightening because at first I feared that something different or new was happening to the arthritis in my hands. I believed I'd been so careful. But by being more vigilant with what I ate and especially the seasonings, the pain subsided and I was again pain free by avoiding nightshade foods. 

It was just a reminder that for many of us, it only takes a little bit of a hidden ingredient, such as ground paprika or cayenne pepper, and we get stung. It can be so minor that we don't taste the seasoning, but it's enough to cause us serious discomfort. 

Be well and I'd love to hear from you!
Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment